[Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.2

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 25 20:41:30 EST 2007

--- Juanma Barranquero <lekktu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Though, if you're using Emacs on Windows and you do
> want it to use a
> different HOME you can set
> HOME=C:\this\is\my\emacs\home as a new
> string value in the HKLM\Software\Gnu\Emacs key of
> the registry.

> On Dec 25, 2007 2:36 AM, Benjamin L. Russell
> <dekudekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > However, usually I steer clear of the
> > registry unless absolutely necessary because
> making a
> > mistake there can render Windows unbootable.
>
> Setting something in HLKM\Software\GNU\Emacs would
> not render your
> Windows unbootable, though it *could* preclude Emacs
> from starting.
>
> > In that case, though, would you happen to know
> which
> > value in the registry would allow me to override
> > HOMEPATH for GHCi?
>
> AFAIK, GHCi does not read anything from the
> registry. You can use the
> registry to set HOME (and perhaps modify HOMEPATH /
> HOMEDRIVE), but
> the effect wouldn't be GHCi-specific.
>
> What I said about Emacs works because Emacs for
> Windows takes the
> trouble to read HKLM\Software\GNU\Emacs and
> interpret some keys as
> environment variables.

This information is all very useful for customizing
Emacs.  Thank you for sharing this information.

In that case, may I suggest to the developers of GHCi
that in the next release, they design GHCi to read the
Windows registry for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Haskell\GHCi\<next-release-version-number>
for a HOME key set as the GHCi HOME environmental
variable, so that I can set
HOME=<drive-letter>:\this\is\my\GHCi\home there (also
well as adding suitable documentation for this new
feature in the FAQ)?

There is already a directory there for Hugs called
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Haskell\Hugs\WinhugsSep
2006, and it would seem to make sense to add a
directory for GHCi there as well.

Benjamin L. Russell