[Haskell] Re: Newbie: what are the advantages of Haskell?

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri Apr 27 13:29:38 EDT 2007

Am Freitag, 27. April 2007 18:18 schrieb Al Falloon:
> […]

> IOW: Java's advanced features are separable from its basic features.
> I.e. you can teach Java without teaching generics or anonymous inner
> classes. In Haskell, OTOH, you can't even learn how to do IO without
> learning Monads, or at least glossing over oddities like a new syntax.
> And thats not even getting into issues like statelessness and lazy
> evaluation.

As for Java, this is not quite true.  In Java, you cannot write a “Hello
world!” program without stumbling over classes and static methods.  And if
you start using I/O, you will soon have to deal with rather complex class and
object structures.  (At least this used to be the case.)

> […]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang