[Haskell] GHC

Robert Daniel Emerson Robert.Emerson at net-tribe.com
Thu Apr 26 17:41:09 EDT 2007

Dear Helmut,

I spoke with Novel a few months ago when I was having problems with the SUSE
watcher and associated update capability with the 'old German version of Suse
10.0', they have corrected the problem, but in the long run the old 10.0 will
not be officially supported. Their product names are less than transparent. I
was told that if I was doing software development definitely not to use 10.1,
as it is meant for the home or office user. What they suggested is SLED 10.0,
which Stands for ' Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.0', and is meant as a
software development platform, this is the edition to which they plan to
provide continued support, albeit it is certainly not as comprehensive as the
old version.

My guess, is if that information is correct you are going to run into problems
continuously, I have not done a proper compare of SLED 10.0 an 10.1, I simply
took them at their word.

The experimental evidence is that I have used SLED 10.0 to compile the major
components of Hugs on an old Intel laptop, by pushing the usual buttons.

I realize you are using the compiler, with which I don't have much experience
(Haskell newbie), but I tried to compile your example on SLED 10.0, I
apparently have the same linkage problem:

robert at Nitrogen:~/Haskell> ghc --make Main
Chasing modules from: Main
Compiling Main             ( Main.hs, Main.o )
Linking ...
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.1.0/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot
find -lgmp
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

robert at Nitrogen:~/Haskell> uname -a
Linux Nitrogen 2.6.16.27-0.9-default #1 Tue Feb 13 09:35:18 UTC 2007 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

robert at Nitrogen:~/Haskell> ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.4.2

I would take a look at http://gmplib.org/, that may solve the problem, but you
may want consider SLED 10.0 instead of 10.1. Another problem to put in the
queue :-)

Best Regards,
Robert Emerson