[Haskell] Fixpoint combinator without recursion

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 17:41:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:26:17PM -0300, Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
> I know that types like
>
> >data T = T (T -> T)
>
> are inhabitated by things other than bottom (like id or \_ ->
> undefined), but can it be useful for *anything*?

Yes.  In particular, types like those can produce an explicit
embedding of general recursion.  There is a world of difference
between not having a proof of strong normalization, and having a proof
that strong normalization does not hold.

If you don't like theory, then I'll say that you can use types like
those to embed typeless lambda calculi in Haskell.

Stefan