[Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: Codec.Compression.GZip & .BZip

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 06:20:00 EDT 2006

Hello Duncan,

> I'm pleased to announce two new packages: zlib and bzlib which provide
> functions for compression and decompression in the gzip and bzip2
> formats:

that's great! i even think that these libraries should go into ghc's
extra-libs package

> Both provide pure functions on streams of data represented by lazy
> ByteStrings:

> compress, decompress :: ByteString -> ByteString

i'd plans to add compression support to my Streams library and your
work will definitely make simpler my own

about API - while it's great for simple usage, it's not enough
universal. i think that the most universal one is using callbacks to
read and write memory buffers, as implemented in my own compression
library: http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/Compression

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com