[Haskell] Re: putStr is not evaluated in the correct order

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 04:49:08 EDT 2006

Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2006 at 05:11:33PM -0700, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>
>>GHCi and the compiled program do not buffer the output in quite the
>>same way.
>

> This comes up so often that perhaps GHCi should advertise those
> differences. For example, the starting message could say something
> like this:
>
>    ___         ___ _
>   / _ \ /\  /\/ __(_)
>  / /_\// /_/ / /  | |      GHC Interactive, version 6.?, for Haskell 98.
> / /_\\/ __  / /___| |      http://www.haskell.org/ghc/
>
> For a list of differences between GHCi-interpreted and GHC-compiled
> programs, type :differences

It is in the FAQ.  The FAQ is currently a bit hard to navigate and could do with
splitting up into separate pages, though.

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC:FAQ#If_I_print_out_a_string_using_putStr.2C_and_then_attempt_to_read_some_input_using_hGetLine.2C_I_don.27t_see_the_output_from_the_putStr.

We could consider adding a message along the lines you suggest... any other ideas?

Cheers,
	Simon