[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: November 08, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 23:45:23 EST 2006

Haskell Weekly News
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HWN
Issue 48 - November 08, 2006

   Welcome to issue 48 of HWN, a weekly newsletter covering developments
   in the Haskell community.

Announcements

     * SmallCheck 0.2. Colin Runciman [1]announced that SmallCheck 0.2, a
       lightweight testing library for Haskell, is out, and can be
       [2]obtained. Since version 0.1: there's now a choice of
       interactive or non-interactive test-drivers using iterative
       deepening; more pre-defined test-data generators, including
       revised Int, Integer, Float, Double, Nat and Natural and
       additional examples. SmallCheck is similar to QuickCheck but
       instead of testing for a sample of randomly generated values,
       SmallCheck tests properties for all the finitely many values up to
       some depth, progressively increasing the depth used.

   1. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14461
   2. http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/smallcheck0.2.tar

     * Hoogle Command Line 3 Beta. Neil Mitchell [3]released Hoogle
       Command Line version 3 Beta, an alternative to [4]the Hoogle
       website. Hoogle lets you search for Haskell functions by name and
       by type signature.

   3. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14464
   4. http://haskell.org/hoogle

     * The Monad.Reader. Wouter Swierstra [5]issued a call for
       submissions for articles for the next issue of [6]The
       Monad.Reader. There are a large number of conferences and journals
       that accept research papers related to Haskell; unfortunately, the
       platform for non-academic publications is far less developed. This
       is where The Monad.Reader fits in. So if you are tossing around
       some ideas, write it up, and submit! Deadline for submissions is
       January 19th, 2007.

   5. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14449
   6. http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/TheMonadReader

     * Haskell Communities and Activities Report. Andres Loeh [7]reminded
       us that the deadline for the November 2006 edition of the Haskell
       Communities and Activities Report is now! -- there may still be
       just enough time to make sure that the report contains a section
       on *your* project, on the interesting stuff that you've been
       doing; using or affecting Haskell in some way. For more info see
       [8]the call for contributions.

   7. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14453
   8. http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-October/018646.html

     * HsMan. Frederik Eaton [9]announced hsman, a tool that indexes
       Haddock-generated HTML files, and allows users to search for
       functions and also GHC manual topics.

   9. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.glasgow.user/11153/focus=11153

     * HaL, Haskell meeting in Leipzig. Johannes Waldmann [10]announced
       that a local Haskell meeting is to take place on December 5th in
       Leipzig, Germany. The meeting will be hosted by IBA Consulting. It
       will be quite informal, with some very short talks (most probably
       in German). Interessenten sind herzlich eingeladen. [11]Details
       and (free) registration.

  10. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14454
  11. http://iba-cg.de/haskell.html

Haskell'

   This section covers the [12]Haskell' standardisation process.
     * [13]Introduce lambda-match (explicit match failure and fall-through)
     * [14]Importing and exporting instance declarations
     * [15]Patches!

  12. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime
  13. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1847
  14. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1835/focus=1835
  15. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1850/focus=1850

Libraries

   This week's proposals and extensions to the [16]standard libraries.
     * [17]unsafeShift operations for Data.Bits
     * [18]map* for Data.List
     * [19](*) `on` f = \x y -> f x * f y
     * [20]forkChild, waitForChild, parIO, timeout
     * [21]isLeft and isRight

  16. http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions
  17. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/5569/focus=5569
  18. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/5552/focus=5552
  19. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/5519/focus=5519
  20. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/5488/focus=5488
  21. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/5461/focus=5461

Discussion

     * The OI comonad. Sven Biedermann [22]invoked a discussion about the
       OI [23]comonad, and provided an example of a simple OI-comonad for
       stdin/stdout only, that preserves referential integrity.

  22. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/16278/focus=16278
  23. http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Monads_and_arrows#Comonads

     * The Bits between the Lambdas. Nuno Pinto [24]asked about Binary IO
       in Haskell. Several solutions were suggested.

  24. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/16245/focus=16245

     * Translating Haskell to VHDL. Alfonso Acosta [25]pondered how to
       write a translator from [26]Haskell to VHDL.

  25. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/16337/focus=16337
  26. http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Domain_specific_languages#Hardware_design

     * New maintainers for wxHaskell. Jeremy O'Donoghue [27]announced
       that a new team of maintainers in place for wxHaskell, so we're
       hoping that will see a significant increase in wxHaskell activtiy
       in the future. Great!

  27. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/16364/focus=16364

     * Permutation with k levels. Nuno Pinto [28]wondered about generic
       permute algorithms in Haskell.

  28. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/16365/focus=16365

Blog noise

   [29]Haskell news from the blogosphere.
     * [30]Introductory Haskell: Solving the Sorting-It-Out Kata
     * [31]Writing A Lisp Interpreter In Haskell
     * [32]Standardising Concurrency in C++
     * [33]Living with a ghost: concurrency and state
     * [34]Concatenative programming in Haskell's Arrows
     * [35]Functional programming is functional
     * [36]LaTeX YAHT on darcs.haskell.org
     * [37]My next programming language
     * [38]Haskell Bowling
     * [39]Variable substitution gives a ... monad
     * [40]Modeling the Semantics of Geographic Categories through
       Conceptual Integration (in Haskell)
     * [41]Keeping it simple
     * [42]In the beginning...
     * [43]Testing ... testing ...
     * [44]Livecoding music with Haskell
     * [45]Why I recommend Haskell
     * [46]Win for Type Theory?
     * [47]That problem when the ideas come too thick and fast

  29. http://planet.haskell.org/
  30. http://blog.moertel.com/articles/2006/10/31/introductory-haskell-solving-the-sorting-it-out-kata
  31. http://www.defmacro.org/ramblings/lisp-in-haskell.html
  32. http://www.artima.com/cppsource/threads_meeting.html
  33. http://damienkatz.net/2006/10/living_with_a_g_1.html
  34. http://kpreid.livejournal.com/7351.html
  35. http://gearon.blogspot.com/2006/10/functional-programming-is-functional.html
  36. http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2006/11/yaht-on-darcshaskellorg.html
  37. http://khigia.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/what-is-my-next-programming-language/
  38. http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/dbcHaskellBowling.htm
  39. http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2006/11/variable-substitution-gives.html
  40. http://virginia-gis.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!45E7F65393A53E20!117.entry
  41. http://vastusutra.blogspot.com/2006/10/keeping-it-simple.html
  42. http://samplerate.blogspot.com/2006/11/in-beginning.html
  43. http://chiralos.blogspot.com/2006/11/testing-testing.html
  44. http://doc.gold.ac.uk/~ma503am/alex/haskellmusic
  45. http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1807#comment-22019
  46. http://nolacoaster.livejournal.com/20789.html
  47. http://brokenhut.livejournal.com/176006.html

Quotes of the Week

     * coffeemug: There don't seem to be any definitive sources that
       suggest Haskell isn't good at something.

     * stevan: Haskell is like all the other functional languages I have
       read about, but totally different at the same time

     * coffeemug: you can do more with Haskell in less code that's easier
       to read and maintain in the long run

     * Jeannette Wing: Computational thinking will have become ingrained
       in everyone's lives when ... trees are drawn upside down

     * monochrom: recursive directory search is an alpha-beta with boring
       values of alpha and beta

     * skew: Types are largely about writing down the contract of a
       function once and telling the compiler to keep track of things,
       rather than trying to get it all straight yourself, and being
       rewarded with bugs that only manifest during demos...

     * monochrom: They say Mozarts Mass in C minor K427 is uplifting. I'm
       going to name my next monad transformer or arrow transformer
       MozartMassInCMinorK427T
     * Ron Jeffries: Dan's assertion, as I recall it, was that Haskell
       lets us express the program 'in the way we think'. On the
       contrary, what Haskell does in my opinion is let us express the
       program in the way Haskell thinks

     * sedd: [On the improving Haskell and Lua scores on the language
       shootout] This is awesome. It's like watching a match between the
       team of the town where you're from, and the team of the town where
       you live. Either way you've got a reason to get drunk after the
       game.

     * emeijer: Functional programming has finally arrived to the masses.
       It's name is not Lisp, ML or Haskell: it's Visual Basic

     * audreyt: Because Haskell is such a reasonable language, we reason
       about it all the time, and we also have a bot to reason it for us
       when we are lazy

     * spiffy: needs to stop trying to understand monads at night

     * psykotic: spiffy: they're just monoids on the category of
       endofunctors over some category, what's the big deal?

     * skew: also, if you use ST you know the code is just using mutable
       variables, rather than formatting your hard drive

     * Baughn: I once explained monads to a non-programmer: 'And? What's
       so hard about that?'

     * monochrom: The problem is that bad programmers will assess
       tutorials for good programmers as 'ivory tower', and moreover bad
       programmers are the vocal majority. It gets you bad press

     * scodil: you say 'sledgehammer' like its a bad thing

     * sjanssen: I suspect that planet.haskell.org has more content on
       catamorphisms than cats

Code Watch

     * Wed Nov 1 08:43:29 PST 2006. Simon Peyton Jones. Major overhaul of
       the Simplifier. This big patch completely overhauls the
       Simplifier. The simplifier had grown old and crufty, and was hard
       to understand and maintain. This new version is still quite
       complicated, because the simplifier does a lot, but it's much
       easier to understand, for me at least.

About the Haskell Weekly News

   Each week, new editions are posted to [48]the Haskell mailing list as
   well as to [49]the Haskell Sequence and [50]Planet Haskell. [51]RSS is
   also available, and headlines appear on [52]haskell.org.

   The Haskell Weekly News is also [53]available in Spanish translation.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   [54]contributing information. Send stories to dons at cse.unsw.edu.au.
   The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn