[Haskell] Re: My summer of code project: HsJudy

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue May 30 18:33:17 EDT 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 04:23:51PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
> >I know some people take issue with using the LGPL for Haskell libraries
> >because of the linking problems. While it's easy to swap over a LGPL
> >C .so module it's rather harder for Haskell since there's no stable ABI.
> >However this is easy to overcome by adding an explicit exception. I've
> >seen at least one LGPL Haskell lib include such an exception.
>
> Could someone put a sample LGPL exception on the wiki?  It would be
> generally useful for those wanting to use the LGPL with Haskell code.

If the only thing included in hslibs is a 3BSD-style interface then we
have no problem, the user of the software links against the version of
libjudy installed on the system.

I am the original author of the HsJudy bindings which I implemented for
building very fast free variable sets in jhc. I considered making a
stand-alone version that included the judy source, but decided it would
be much nicer to just link against the libjudy installed on the system
as it is a generally very useful library.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈