[Haskell] Re: installing streams library

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed May 24 05:33:48 EDT 2006

Neil Mitchell wrote:

>> FWIW, it's almost identical to the incantation necessary for projects
>> based on
>> autotools, where it usually reads something like:
>>
>> ./configure
>> make
>> make install
>

> But sadly compared to Windows tools, where its just a case of "double
> click" this sounds a bit too complex.
>
> I am hoping that I can register Cabal with Windows in some way to
> automate this down to "double click" once more.

I'm sure you can.  The important point is that Cabal doesn't require
Cygwin or any other build machinery aside from GHC (or Hugs) itself, so
you *can* build and install libraries on Windows.  This is one Big Win
that you get with Cabal.

When somebody gets around to it, Cabal will be able to automatically
generate a .msi binary windows installer directly from a Cabal package.

Cheers,
	Simon