[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Milfoh image to texture loading library

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun May 14 09:35:36 EDT 2006

Am Dienstag, 9. Mai 2006 14:44 schrieb Maurizio Monge:
> [...]
> Since this was a real pain, i think that something like this (maybe a more
> polished version) should go into GLUT (as, for instance, ALUT do have some
> audio file loading facilities).

The design rationale for the OpenGL/GLUT/OpenAL/ALUT packages is that they
should exactly mirror the standardize native API behind them in a
Haskell-friendly way. GLUT is only a simple, portable GUI for OpenGL-based
program (handling windows, menus, callbacks, etc.) and it has no support for
either.

It might be an interesting project to write a nice Haskell binding to the
Developer's Image Library (DevIL, see http://www.imagelib.org/) or Imlib2
(http://www.enlightenment.org/Libraries/Imlib2/). An alternative is to mirror
only the design and actually do a re-write of the whole library in Haskell.

An IIRC, there is already a Haskell binding for SDL, but I am not so sure
about how complete it is and if it is still maintained.

Cheers,
   S.