[Haskell] Re: Haskell as a disruptive technology?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 04:15:47 EST 2006

Neil Mitchell wrote:

>>- Larger memory footprint
>
> You are talking about GHC, not Haskell. Take a look at nhc98, which
> has a small memory footprint.

We should be clear about whether we're talking about the footprint of
the compiler or the generated binary.  I can well believe that GHC needs
a lot more memory than nhc98 to run, but I'm not at all sure that the
same relation holds when you consider the generated binaries, especially
when GHC's compacting collector is being used and optimisation is turned
on.  Code size is probably larger with GHC.  It'd nice to see some
actual measurements done here.

Cheers,
	Simon