[Haskell] Re: Compile error in GHC HEAD revision - nobody responding to bug report

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun Mar 19 14:42:17 EST 2006

Am Dienstag, 14. März 2006 11:39 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> > I filed a bug report for a compile error in the latest GHC build, but
> > nobody has responded to it for 4 days.  I might as well try to fix it
> > myself, but I'm just a functional programming and Haskell beginner.
> >
> > Here's the bug I filed:
> > http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/715
> >
> > Here's what the output of GHC says:

> > ==fptools== make all -wr -f Makefile;
> >  in /home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries/OpenAL
> > ../../ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace -H32m -O -W -fno-warn-unused-matches
> > -fwarn-unused-imports -Wall -fffi -Iinclude '-#include "HsOpenAL.h"' -cpp
> > -DCALLCONV=ccall -ignore-package OpenAL   -package base  -package OpenGL
> > -fgenerics -split-objs    -c Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs -o
> > Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o  -ohi Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hi
> >
> > Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.hs:85:3:
> >     Couldn't match expected type `NumSamples'
> >            against inferred type `Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint'
> >       Expected type: GettableStateVar NumSamples
> >       Inferred type: GettableStateVar Sound.OpenAL.Config.ALCint
> >     In the expression:
> >         makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just device) CaptureSamples)
> >     In the definition of `captureNumSamples':
> >         captureNumSamples device
> >                             = makeGettableStateVar $ (getInteger (Just
> > device) CaptureSamples)
> > make[2]: *** [Sound/OpenAL/ALC/Capture.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build/libraries' make: *** [build]
> > Error 1
> > make: Leaving directory `/home/ayqazi/src/packages/ghc/ghc-build'
>
> Unless you need the OpenAL library, you could try configuring with
> --disable-openal as a workaround.  I imagine the OpenAL maintainer will
> get to this bug in due course.

Hmmm, this is strange: I've built GHC from the "official" darcs repository
yesterday without any problems. I'm having a look at what might be the
difference when I have all my tools back at the bleeding edge...

Cheers,
   S.

P.S.: Guaranteeing a bug response time < 4 days is a bit tricky when one is
away on a business trip for a week. :-] If somebody actually payed me for my
Haskell work, this situation would probably improve...