[Haskell] Re: Trying On Learn Haskell Web Server

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Mon Mar 6 09:42:39 EST 2006

Cale Gibbard wrote:
> Ah, neat, I knew about WASH, but somehow I'd missed the fact that
> there was a server there :)

Interesting... at a casual glance, this looks as if it could be coming close to
being a "full stack web application framework" for Haskell, looking to occupy
the same kind of territory as systems like Java/Servlets+JSP+the rest,
Ruby/Rails or Python/Turbogears (the last a package I'm currently using).

I think see:
  The web server
  CGI process dispatching
  Web page templating
  Relational database access

Additional features of a full-stack web application framework that may or may
not be present are:

- Support for longer-running web processes (implemented in haskell, of course)

- An easy way to map incoming URIs to specific functions (hmm.. or to monadic
values, I think)

- Easy mapping from Haskell data structures to underlying SQL - what would be
called an Object-Relational Mapper (ORM) in OO languages

- Handling of interaction with a browser-side Javascript library for smoother
AJAX support

- Options to run the whole thing behind Apache to leverage its security and web
space management capabilities

I think that continuation-based web session state management, ala
Smalltalk/Seaside, would be a very natural fit for a Haskell framework -- all
handled by a "Web session monad", maybe.  (Or maybe I just don't know what I'm
talking about ;)

How far are we from having such a framework for Haskell?

#g
--

Cale Gibbard wrote:
> On 06/03/06, Shae Matijs Erisson <shae at scannedinavian.com> wrote:
>> "Cale Gibbard" <cgibbard at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Looks like there's an updated version here which supports dynamically
>>> loadable plugins: http://www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md9ms/hws-wp/
>> Peter Thiemann has a more recent version that uses hs-plugins:
>> http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~thiemann/haskell/WASH/
>
> Ah, neat, I knew about WASH, but somehow I'd missed the fact that
> there was a server there :)
>
>  - Cale

Graham Klyne
For email: