[Haskell] Re: haskell.org Simple Permissive License

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Tue Jan 17 07:15:20 EST 2006

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2006 06:36 schrieb Ashley Yakeley:
> In article <200601162208.42179.wolfgang at jeltsch.net>,
>
>  Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net> wrote:
> > According to http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php it should
> > read:
> >
> > 	[...] to any person obtaining *a copy of* this work,
> >
> > Or is leaving out of "a copy of" intended?
>
> Whoops, no. I think it's safe to leave, though?

I don't know the judical terminology.  Maybe, the makers of the so-called MIT
license inserted "a copy of" because what you receive on your computer is
strictly speaking always just a copy of the work since the actual work lies
on the server, the computer of the creator or whatever.  Maybe, it's safer to
include "a copy of".  I think this shouldn't be much of a problem since the
current license and the corrected license would roughly be the same so that I
cannot imagine some author complaining about a license change in the form of
addition of "a copy of".

What do others think?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang