[Haskell] GLUT gears speed

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Mon Jan 16 07:35:53 EST 2006

Am Freitag, 6. Januar 2006 22:17 schrieb Wolfgang Jeltsch:
> Hello,
>
> what's the reason behind the HOpenGL gears only being about 2/3 as fast as
> glxgears on my computer?  Since I don't use any 3D acceleration, I thought
> that most of the CPU's time is spend for rendering and displaying so that
> speed differences between Haskell and C shouldn't matter that much.
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

Hmm, no reply until now. :-(

A related question:  I plan to let "my" students write some HOpenGL based
applications in a practical course whose intend is to train them in
functional and logic programming.  One of these applications should simulate
a flight over a landscape whose surface is modelled via fractal brownian
motion.  So the program needs to display a rather large amount of geometric
primitives and needs to do this rather fast because the thing is animated.
Now my question:  Is Haskell in conjunction with HOpenGL overstrained with
this problem or can I expect the application to run fast enough to not make
the students laugh about Haskell's speed. :-)  Of course, the program should
be run only on graphic cards with 3D acceleration.

I'd be happy about quick replies. :-)

Best wishes,
Wolfgang