[Haskell] Re: haskell.org Public Domain

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 12 06:57:12 EST 2006

Neil Mitchell wrote:
>>A link from the wiki to where? The wiki is supposed to take over the
>>haskell.org site. But maybe we can still have directories that are not
>>part of the wiki.
>

> Some of the pages on the Haskell site simply *can't* be moved over to
> the wiki, Hoogle <http://haskell.org/hoogle/> springs to mind, given
> that its a server side application.

That's right, there's no point importing content that is already
generated from source such as the Haskell Report.  And we don't plan to
wikify the whole of the GHC site, just some bits of it.

Ashley has a point though - we couldn't quote from the Haskell report on
the wiki, or indeed quote source code from pretty much anywhere (most
code has a non-PD license) if the whole wiki is PD.  The wiki-wide
license should contain the words "unless explicitly stated otherwise in
the content" or somesuch, that way we can give attribution when we quote
code.

I realise this contradicts some of what has already been said, but there
is a conflict: making it easy to use content from the wiki implies a
single license, but making it easy to use content from elsewhere on the
wiki implies multiple licenses.  A good compromise seems to be to have a
default license (PD as suggested), but allow it to be overriden,
sparingly, by explicit attribution in the content itself.

Cheers,
	Simon