[Haskell] License for haskell.org content

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Jan 8 22:03:28 EST 2006

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:31:16PM -0500, John Peterson wrote:
> I believe the scenario that the FDL addresses is that someone
> (probably Paul Hudak!) "borrows" massive amounts of stuff from the wiki,
> adds his own good stuff, and then publishes a nice book or something
> without having to share his additional contribution.  Some people
> would like to be sure that their contributions can't be exploited in
> this manner.

Why not use the GPL, then?

FWIW, the GFDL is considered non-free by Debian[1], so that would mean
any documentation or anything derived from the wiki couldn't be packaged
for Debian.

Apart from the issue of code itself on the wiki, that other people have
already mentioned, presumably you'd also have licence fun if you try to
take surrounding explanatory text to use as haddock docs etc.

Thanks
Ian

[1] http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml
    http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html