[Haskell] New look for haskell.org: MediaWiki

Anders Höckersten chucky at dtek.chalmers.se
Sun Jan 8 21:43:50 EST 2006

sön 2006-01-08 klockan 21:12 -0500 skrev John Peterson:
> >> wiki is under the GNU FDL so the licenses are not necessarily
> >> compatible.
>
> >As far as I understand, this means that if I see a sample of code on
> >the haskell wiki, and just want to "steal" it for my project, I'm not
> >allowed to, unless I also release my code under the GNU FDL?
>
> This is something worth debating.  Certainly you can ask the author of
> the code for permission to use it but this is an extra burden.  Would
> be nice to have a special wiki construct to mark content as posessing
> an "extra" license.  The whole license debate should take place as
> soon as possible before we get a lot of content in there.  I'm not
> wedded to the FDL.

Hmm, here's a quick suggestion. The wiki currently says:
"Content is available under GNU Free Documentation License 1.2."
We change this to:
"All Haskell source code on this page is released into the public
domain. All other content is available under GNU Free Documentation
License 1.2." "Haskell source code" could also be a link to an exact
definition of what is and what is not to be regarded as Haskell source
code, but I think that seems a bit over the top.

It might even be reasonable to release everything into the public
domain. If nothing else, it means we can change the license later if it
ends up being abused (which I personally believe is a rather low risk
scenario).

Regards,
Anders