[Haskell] GHC and GLUT

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jan 6 16:48:28 EST 2006

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> > Does installing the libsm-dev package help?
> >
> > -- Mark
>
> Thank you, Mark and Jared.
>
> Installing the libsm-dev package resulted in ld outputting a similar error
> message for -lXmu.  After also installing libxmu-dev, linking was possible.
>
> Are libsm-dev and/or libxmu-dev needed for every Haskell GLUT application or
> just for certain examples?  If they are always needed, some package has not
> declared all its dependencies. In this case, which package is the one with
> the dependency declaration bug?

GLUT uses XmuLookupStandardColormap from libXmu. libXmu requires
libXt, which in turn requires libSM.

As that's the only Xmu function which GLUT uses, I would have thought
that it would be worth making the effort to remove that particular
dependency from GLUT.

Insofar as it's a bug, it's in the dependency list for GLUT.
Ultimately, the correct dependency list for the Haskell GLUT package
is "GLUT, plus whatever GLUT happens to require on your particular
system". But I don't know whether the dependency list can be generated
dynamically.