[Haskell] GHC and GLUT

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 15:31:02 EST 2006

>         Linking ...
>         /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSM
>         collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I've had GHC (ld actually) die for similar things like "cannot find
-lgmp". Here is how I fixed it.

Make sure you have libSM, the X Session Management Library, and make
sure that it is in a place where ld looks. You can usually test what
ld (the linker) sees by typing "ldconfig -p | grep -i libsm" for
example, to see if it knows about libsm and what it calls it.

You can then symlink ("ln -s ...") the right libraries if they exists
but have the wrong name (for example, libsm-xyz.a instead of plain
libsm.a) If you don't have libsm somewhere on you system, try using
aptitude, synaptic or apt-get to add libSM; if that doesn't work, you
may need the development libs/include files, as I had happen to me
once for some other library I forget at the moment...

Good luck,
  Jared.

jupdike at gmail.com
http://www.updike.org/~jared/