[Haskell] monads, records, verbosity

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Thu Jan 5 14:28:09 EST 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:

> Much of the discussion here recently has been related to debate about
> complexifying the monad hierarchy.  The fact that Haskell record syntax is
> abysmal and the verbosity of various possible solutions.
> They appear to interrelate.
> Would it be possible/reasonable to get rid of data, class, and instance
> declarations and rely on type inference for everything?

Sort of. You'd get something a bit like OCaml's polymorphic variants.
You'd also get a lot more possibility for error unless you had the option
of using those things though - nominal typing matters.

flippa at flippac.org

"My religion says so" explains your beliefs. But it doesn't explain
why I should hold them as well, let alone be restricted by them.