[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Dimensional -- Statically checked physical dimensions

Björn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 15:31:28 EST 2006

Dear all,

Inspired by Dons' blog post [2] and further spurred by the recent
CalDims announcement [3] I have wrapped up version 0.1 of my
'Dimensional' module for statically checked physical dimensions
(requires GHC 6.6).

The module facilitates calculations with physical quantities while
statically preventing e.g. addition of quantities with differing
physical dimensions. I have used the module to implement (proprietary)
algorithms related to spacecraft propulsion systems and my experience
is that it is both usable and substantially improves confidence in
the code produced.

The 'Dimensional' module and the supporting module 'NumType', both
written in literate Haskell, follow at the end of this message. For
a tarball and/or a current darcs repository see [1]. The code is
released under a BSD3 license.

Before a 1.0 release I intend to, among other thing, change the
name to something more descriptive (also to avoid confusion with
Aaron Denney's very similar library [4]). Feedback on whether/where
to fit the modules in the "module name space" would be appreciated.

Happy New Year!

-Bjorn Buckwalter

[1] http://code.google.com/p/dimensional/
[2] http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2006/12/11#release-a-library-today
[3] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14671
[4] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Dimensionalized_numbers

<<< My original announcement message bounced due to its size. I have
removed the source from this resend. The original message including
literate Haskell source can be viewed at
http://code.google.com/p/dimensional/wiki/BouncedAnnouncement >>>