[Haskell] Help needed interrupting accepting a network connection

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Mon Dec 4 04:58:52 EST 2006

On 2 dec 2006, at 22.13, Cat Dancer wrote:

> I'd like to write a server accepting incoming network connections that
> can be gracefully shutdown.
> When the server is asked to shutdown, it should stop accepting new
> connections, finish processing any current connections, and then
> terminate.
> Clients can retry if they attempt to make a connection and the
> connection is refused.  This allows the server to restart seamlessly:
> any existing connections are not interrupted, and clients will see at
> most a pause while the server restarts.
> I am using the model from Simon Marlow's Haskell Web Server (as
> updated by Björn Bringert and available at
> http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/darcs/hws/): spawning a
> lightweight Haskell child thread for each client connection.

I'd just like to add that the main repository for the conservatively
updated HWS is http://darcs.haskell.org/hws/

There is also a more aggressively updated version at http://
It supports CGI programs, has a module system for extensibility (no
dynamic module loading though), more flexible logging, support for
listening on multiple sockets, and many other changes.

Contributions to either of these are very welcome.