[Haskell] Help needed interrupting accepting a network connection

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Sat Dec 2 18:23:18 EST 2006

Hi, I have taken a crack at this.  The best thing would be not to use the
asynchronous exceptions to signal the thread that calls accept.  And use STM
more, since the exception semantics are much easier to get right.

But a few minor changes gets closer to what you want.  First, the main problem
you claim to run into is

> Except that, whoops, the "takeMVar" in the accept thread code which updates the
> childrenDone" MVar is also interruptible.  So now I'm getting an
> interruption right where I don't want it, when I'm updating my data
> structure.

Short version: There is no problem because it will not become interruptible.
Long version:  The takeMVar unblocks exceptions only if it must
stop and wait for the MVar.  The MVar is only taken by this command/thread and
during graceful shutdown after this thread is dead.  So this MVar should never
be in contention (and in theory does not *need* to be a locked MVar, and an
IORef would do).  See http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/415348.html for why I think
takeMVar only allow exceptions if the MVar is unavailable.

The biggest change is ensuring the accepting thread puts to acceptLoopDone by
using finally.  Many things might kill that thread; it is best to ensure it lets
the main thread know that it is dead.

More subtlety, I added "unblock (return ())" before accept.  This makes it look
for the asynchronous exception even when an incoming connection would be
immediately available. Otherwise a busy server would never notice the exception!

As a style point: there is an ugly moment between takeMVar and putMVar in which
you state is  inconsistent (being inside block makes it safe though).  So I
changed this to modifyMVar_ which is better practice.