[Haskell] logic problem

michael at schmong.org michael at schmong.org
Tue Oct 25 20:36:10 EDT 2005

Hi,
   My name is Michael. I'm new to Haskell. I'm working through
   The Craft of Functional Programming by Simon Thompson.
   I'm having problems with a few exercises from chapter 4. I will
   present one per post.

   This one is from 4.9
   Given a function f of type Int -> Int give a recursive definition
   of a function of type Int -> Int which on input n returns the maximum
   values f 0, f 1, ... , f n

   I defined f as follows
   f 0 = 0
   f 1 = 44
   f 2 = 5
   f 9 = 8

   this works except when f n > n. In that case I get an "illegal
   instruction" error and hugs exits.
   I'm pretty sure this is a logic problem. Could someone point me
   in the right direction so I can think about this problem correctly.
   Here is my code

   maxOverf :: Int -> Int
   maxOverf m
      | f m > m    = (f m)