[Haskell] getArgs, maxBound, float division: pure functions?

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Wed Oct 12 00:05:39 EDT 2005

oleg at pobox.com writes:

> Regarding argument 1: the value of |maxBound :: Int| is also the
> function of the environment. Haskell98 Report says [p82, Section
> 6.4]
>
>    The finite-precision integer type Int covers at least the range
>    [ - 2^29 , 2^29 - 1 ]. As Int is an instance of the Bounded class,
>    maxBound and minBound can be used to determine the exact Int range
>    defined by an implementation.
>
> Thus, the value of |maxBound :: Int| may conceivably change from on
> program run (under runhugs32 on an AMD64 platform) to another (under
> runghc64 on the same platform).

I guess we could declare 32- and 64-bit Ints to be distinct types, and
then do a system call to get the native Int type.

    data SomeIntegral = forall a. Integral a => SomeIntegral a

    nativeInt :: IO SomeIntegral

    main = case nativeInt of
        SomeIntegral (_::int) -> print (maxBound :: int)

The disadvantage would be the need for polymorphism over the Integral
class whenever we wanted native-sized integers.

> Regarding argument 2: the existence of System.Environment.withArgs
> seems to doom getArgs to remain with the IO type. It cannot be a pure
> function. The simple extension of the argument points however to
> inconsistency with the floating-point facility. Haskell98 Report
> permits an implementation to use IEEE FP for Haskell Floats and
> Doubles. The Report specifically provides the class RealFrac to give a
> program access to some aspects of the IEEE FP system. IEEE FP
> computations are sensitive to the rounding mode, which is observable
> in pure code. The rounding mode can be changed. [...] Should all
> floating-point computations be put in the IO monad?

In principle, you could use seperate types to distinguish floats with
different rounding modes, but I imagine this would be difficult or
annoying to implement.
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>