[Haskell] Survey of Haskell in Higher Education

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Mon Nov 28 15:20:53 EST 2005

Am Montag, 28. November 2005 20:52 schrieb John Hughes:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > "What is the first programming language students on your degree programme
> > learn?"
> > "What is the second programming language students on your degree programme
> > learn?"
> >
> > This is too restrictive.  What if the lecture "Computer Science I" is held
> > in different years by different lecturers which teach different
> > programming languages?
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Wolfgang
>
> [...]
>
> Mind you, I'm amazed the teachers for the rest of the curriculum can cope
> without knowing what programming language their students have learned!

The students have to learn one or two programming languages in their first
semester so that they get to know some basic principles of programming.  If
during their studies they need a programming language they didn't learned so
far then they just have to learn it.  The students are expected to be able to
and take the time to learn programming languages outside their university
courses.

Of course, this is more demanding for them than learning every language they
need as part of their courses.  But – hey – it's university, not school. :-)

> John

Best wishes,
Wolfgang