Records (was Re: [Haskell] Improvements to GHC)

Rob Ennals rob.ennals at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 09:32:47 EST 2005

Hi guys,

Since discussion has returned to records, it might be useful for me to
post a link to a proposal that I knocked up a while back when this
topic came up a few years ago:

http://www.cambridge.intel-research.net/~rennals/records.pdf

The basic idea is to keep records largely as they are, but add two extensions:

- field getter functions are placed in type classes

- fields desugar to setter functions as well as getters

Useful features of this approach are:
- backward compatibility with existing code
- the existing type-class mechanism is used for shared field names
- setters can be redefined if a type is changed, just as getters can now

To go through Dave's issues:

1. Field namespaces: solved by using type classes
2. Multi-constructor getters: solved by desugaring to functions
3. "Safe" getters for multi-constructor data types: ditto
4. Getters for multiple data types with a common field: solved by
type-classes (no special "constains" feature required)
5. Setters as functions: yep
6. Anonymous records: not supported
7. Unordered records: yep (if I understand the problem correctly)

And Georg's points:
8. Subtyping: yep -using type classes
9. higher order versions for selecting, updateing ... : not sure what
is meant here

Of course, my proposal might very well not do what you want, but I
thought it was worth posting it again.

Hope people find this useful.

-Rob