[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Frag: a First Person Shooting game

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Tue Nov 22 14:28:46 EST 2005

Am Dienstag, 22. November 2005 15:36 schrieb Sebastian Sylvan:
> This is really cool.

Yes, I am really impressed, too! Finally Haskell enters the world we the real
big bucks are made, e.g. Electronic Arts alone made a $3.1 billion annual
revenue last year. :-)

> I too would like to read a post-mortem on this project. What worked
> well, what didn't, etc.
> There aren't a lot of game engines written in Haskell so it would be
> interesting to see how it worked out for you.

As the developer/maintainer of the OpenGL and GLUT packages used, I would be
highly interested in a post-mortem, too, especially regarding the API design,
missing features, etc. Some years ago I wrote a Quake 1 level viewer (still
in my old HOpenGL tar files somewhere) and one could see hickups due to GC,
but this doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Nice!

Of course the next step should be using the OpenAL/ALUT packages to hear the
screams of your enemies when you frag them... >:-)

   http://haskell.org/HOpenGL/newAPI/OpenAL/Sound-OpenAL.html
   http://haskell.org/HOpenGL/newAPI/ALUT/Sound-ALUT.html

Cheers,
   S.

P.S.: Some commandline options for choosing the resolution or full-screen
rendering and "invert mouse" would be highly appreciated.