[Haskell] Improvements to GHC

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Nov 17 08:46:50 EST 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:03:00AM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> >2)  Improving Haskell support for records.
>
> Right - the problem is that nobody seems to agree exactly how to do
> this.  I like the fact that record access looks like (is?) a simple
> function application, and conversely, dislike that the record update
> syntax is different.

Whereas I take the opposite approach.  The simple function application is
often a bad function--one that may return bottom--and I'd rather be able to
place hedges around dangerous functions like that.  In contrast, pattern
matching is safe.  Record update (on the third hand) is unsafe, but uses
similar syntax to pattern matching.  It's a mess.  The whole namespace
issue only exists for record access functions, which is a feature that I'd
prefer to have dropped from the language anyways.

Which just goes to show that nobody agrees...
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net