[Haskell] [ANNOUNCE] yhc - York Haskell Compiler

Colin Runciman colin at cs.york.ac.uk
Mon Nov 14 09:13:36 EST 2005

Bulat,

>CR> * Part of Tom's motivation for the new back-end is a nice implementation
>CR> of his Hat G-machine for tracing.
>
>i'm interested whether this sort of things is possible as back-end for
>GHC?
>
>it will be great if current front-end for GHC which supports number of
>widely used extensions can be used together with new sorts of
>back-ends, including debugging and super-optimizing (like jhc) ones

I am aware of some experiments with alternative back-ends for ghc, but I
don't know of any work on a ghc back-end generating portable bytecode.
A few years ago some work was done towards a ghc-hugs fusion, but in the
end hugs remained separate and the ghc people developed ghci.  Perhaps
ghc and/or hugs developers can comment further?

So far as debugging back-ends for ghc are concerned, Robert Ennals and
Simon PJ did a stop-and-look style debugger using speculative evaluation
which perhaps is still distributed? For systems that record a complete
computational trace, a modified abstract machine is an attractively
efficient alternative to source-to-source transformation, but inevitably
demands more cooperation from the front-end to provide the extra
information needed.

Colin R