[Haskell] Making Haskell more open

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sun Nov 13 14:29:09 EST 2005

Am Freitag, 11. November 2005 15:51 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> [...] We already use DocBook XML, and I'm relatively pleased with it, except
> for the fact that it's far from easy to set up a working DocBook
> toolchain on your system unless your OS of choice is up to date and has
> a well-maintained set of DocBook packages.

As I'm guilty of kicking out the old SGML stuff and introducing DocBook XML,
I'd like to add two remarks:

 * DocBook XML can be transformed into a very rich collection of output
formats: XHTML, HTML Help, DVI, PS, PDF, FO, plain text, etc. etc.

 * But what's more important: Compared to the more exotic markup mechanisms
proposed, it is well-known and extremely well documented. There are tons of
web sites, books, articles, etc. etc. about DocBook XML. Proposing more
arcane technologies will drastically reduce the amount of people actually
contributing to an Open Source project, a fact which is easily overlooked.
(On a related note, this is one of my major concerns about the introduction
of darcs, but I'll be happy if I'm proven wrong...)

Cheers,
   S.