[Haskell] [ANNOUNCE] yhc - York Haskell Compiler

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:29:22 EST 2005

Sorry, I could have done with answering a bit more there...

On 11 Nov 2005, at 23:09, David Frech wrote:
> I'm curious. Can you be more specific about what you thought
> wanted/needed changing in nhc98's VM and/or compiler?
Basically, nhc98's backend had several problems, most notably not
being portable to windows, and the high memory bug (which I have on
reliable sources would have been pretty nasty to fix).  I can't
really say anything more about Tom's reasons for rewriting it,
because I don't know how much he wants to be public.  Suffice to say,
there are more benefits to the rewrite :).

> I haven't played around with nhc98 yet, but I was intrigued by its
> small size and its (modestly-sized and simple) bytecoded
> implementation. Should I now be more interested in Yhc instead? ;-)
As far as the YHC team is concerned, yes... As far as the nhc team
is... I'm not sure, perhaps Malcolm or Colin would be kind enough to
tell us.

> I'd like to build a web-publishing framework in Haskell that is
> totally self-contained, very portable, and easy to bootstrap ... and
> nhc98 or Yhc might be a nice place to start.
Yhc is certainly a good place to start - it's extremely easy to
bootstrap on many many platforms.

Thanks

Bob