[Haskell] Accessing The Haskell community via nntp, http, and smtp, was Re: Making Haskell more open

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Fri Nov 11 11:48:30 EST 2005

Tomasz Zielonka <tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com> writes:

> That's a good point... or points. I also like newsgroups, but I haven't
> used them in a while, probably because most of discussions about haskell
> take place on mailing lists.
>
> Maybe it's time to register comp.lang.haskell?
>
> Could someone tell me something about fa.haskell? Is it a mirror of
> haskell at haskell.org? Can it be used to post messages through NNTP?

I use gmane.org for all my mailing lists.
I use gnus in emacs, and I have:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
Subscribe to newsgroups that match gmane.comp.lang.haskell.*, and you're done.

> How about an integrated newsgroup+mailinglist+forum. If we had a
> two-way newsgroup+mailinglist integration, people could use it also
> as a forum, for example through gmail.google.com. But I don't use
> fora, so I probably talk nonsense.

That would be gmane.org. It has a web interface[1] [2], nntp interface, and it
works with all mailing lists that subscribe to it. It's also free.

[1] http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/
[2] http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.