[Haskell] Making Haskell more open

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Fri Nov 11 10:52:30 EST 2005

Am Freitag, 11. November 2005 16:45 schrieb Tomasz Zielonka:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 03:12:40PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > I would tend to disagree. I think the combination of the mailing lists,
> > a wiki and the IRC channel cover most of our communication needs.
>
> Personally I prefer to use mailing lists, but they have one disadvantage
> - if you don't set up filters to split incoming mail into multiple
> folders, you can be flooded with messages.

IMO, the best solution are newsgroups.  What I dislike with web-based
communication (webmail, webforums) is that webbrowsing is not as flexible as
using a specialized software and that you are not free in choosing your
communication software apart from choosing a webbrowser – you have to live
with the webmail/webforum software installed on the server, independently of
whether you like it or not.

> > I don't think that yet another variant would help us much. Web boards
> > tend to be harder to use than email since it requires a web browser.
> > Having too many differnt types of communication channel would reduce the
> > readership of any one of them.
>
> How about a forum integrated with mailing lists?

Does such a thing already exist somewhere?

> Best regards
> Tomasz

Best wishes,
Wolfgang