[Haskell] Making Haskell more open

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 11 09:51:55 EST 2005

On 11 November 2005 12:57, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2005 12:27 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
>> [...]
>
>> - Work is afoot to move GHC's source-code repository to Darcs, to
>>   make it easier for people to contribute patches
>
> Is it planned to split the current big monolithic repository into
> multiple repositories in conjunction with doing the CVS-to-darcs
> transition?  I'd strongly recommend this.  What do others think?

We do plan to split the repository into several chunks, and over time
some of the libraries will migrate into their own repositories.  Here is
the current plan:

http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/cvs-ghc/2005-November/027174.html

>> [...]
>
>> 	* The GHC user manual [currently generated using DocBook]
>
> I think it should continue to be written in DocBook.  (It should
> switch to DocBook XML if it's still using SGML DocBook.)  XML
> documents are "type-safe" in contrast to LaTeX documents, for
> example.  XML is well supported.  DocBook stresses logical markup and
> allows very specific markup and therefore supports conversion into
> different formats (HTML, PDF, ...) very well.
> Again, what do others think?

We already use DocBook XML, and I'm relatively pleased with it, except
for the fact that it's far from easy to set up a working DocBook
toolchain on your system unless your OS of choice is up to date and has
a well-maintained set of DocBook packages.

Cheers,
	Simon