[Haskell] Re: lambda calculus theory

Ben Horsfall ben.horsfall at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 09:00:06 EST 2005

On 08/11/05, Marc A. Ziegert <coeus at gmx.de> wrote:
> (this duplicates that inquiry from glasgow-haskell-users@ to haskell@)
>
> Am Sonntag, 6. November 2005 15:53 schrieb Hans N Beck:
> > I'm searching for a good mathematical oriented introduction to the
> > theory of lambda calculus or other theoretical foundations of Lisp/
> > Haskell, i.e. monads or such (of course in the web there are much
> > hints, but what is the best for mathematicans foreign to this field)

On lambda calculus, have a look at:

H. P. Barendregt, Lambda Calculi with Types, in S. Abramsky and Dov M.
Gabbay and T. S. E. Maibaum, eds., Handbook of Logic in Computer
Science, Volume 2, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1992, pp. 117--309

J. Roger Hindley and Jonathan P. Seldin, Introduction to Combinators
and $\lambda$-Calculus, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1986.

A nice, standard introduction to category theory is:

Saunders Mac Lane, Categories for the Working Mathematician,
Springer-Verlag, New York, second edition, 1998.

Ben