[Haskell] Re: lambda calculus theory

Marc A. Ziegert coeus at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 08:23:53 EST 2005

(this duplicates that inquiry from glasgow-haskell-users@ to haskell@)

Am Sonntag, 6. November 2005 15:53 schrieb Hans N Beck:
> Hi,
> I'm searching for a good mathematical oriented introduction to the
> theory of lambda calculus or other theoretical foundations of Lisp/
> Haskell, i.e. monads or such (of course in the web there are much
> hints, but what is the best for mathematicans foreign to this field)
> Regards
> Hans

Hi Hans,

i'm searching for such lectures/papers/scripts, too.
well, untill there is a better answer, i send you some links, which i think could be interesting to you.
the first real mathematical definition of "monad", i read, was in the paper "The essence of dataflow programming". i approve to not omit that paper, if you like both, haskell and that theory.
beside that, i attended a german lecture about Algebraic Topology. one chapter was about cathegory theory. it was not that much, but interesting.

very interesting is the "typed lambda calculus", which allows effective bug-prevention, which you do not have in most variants of lisp (or lisp's derivatives) but in haskell.

there is a mathematical definition in the paper "The essence of dataflow programming", see 'comonad:' below.

cathegory theory:

beside these links, do not abstain from reading parts of the haskell library. (Data.Maybe, Data.Monoid, Control.Monad, Data.FunctorM, Control.Arrow)

- marc