[Haskell] Haskell on QNX?

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Mar 29 10:22:39 EST 2005

On 24 March 2005 10:11, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> "Matthew M. Munz" <mmm92 at pantheon.yale.edu> writes:
>
>>    Is it possible to compile and run Haskell programs on QNX? [1]
>> [1] http://www.qnx.com/
>
>> From a brief glance at the QNX website, it appears to support POSIX,
>> GNU
> make tools, and gcc-compatible C compilers.  Thus it should be
> possible
> to get either Hugs or nhc98 up and running very quickly, maybe even
> straight out of the box, on all architectures.
>
> It is also likely that ghc could be persuaded to bootstrap (with a
> little work) on at least PowerPC and ix86 platforms, since the native
> codegen for those architectures is well maintained - MIPS, SH-4,
> StrongARM, and Xscale would be much more of a challenge for ghc
> though!

Unregisterised C compilation (compiling via plain ANSI C) is well
supported in GHC.  Some of our ports use unregisterised C only, in fact.
Compiling GHC on an "unsupported" architecture is just a matter of
following the step-by-step porting instructions in the building guide:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/building/sec-porting-ghc.htm

which many people have successfully done.  Maybe this will help dispell
the myth that GHC is not portable :-)

Cheers,
	Simon