[Haskell] URLs in haskell module namespace

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 24 11:40:53 EST 2005

On 23 March 2005 13:11, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> I think this will be trivially possible once the compilers support
> multiple versioning of packages.  (Ghc may even support it already.):
>
>     {-# OPTIONS -package foo-1.0 #-}
>     module Old (module Foo) where
>     import Foo
>
>     {-# OPTIONS -package foo-2.2 #-}
>     module New (module Foo) where
>     import Foo
>
>     module Convert where
>     import qualified Old
>     import qualified New
>     convert (Old.Foo x y) = New.Foo y x

We're not going to support this, at least for the forseeable future.
It's a pretty big change: every entity in the program becomes
parameterised by the package name as well as the module name, because
module names can overlap.

This means a change to the language: there might be multiple types
called M.T in the program, which are not compatible (they might have
different representations).  You can't pass a value of type M.T that you
got from version 1.0 of the package to a function expecting M.T in
version 2.

This issue came up in the thread about grafting from late 2003 on the
libraries list (sorry don't have a link to hand).

Cheers,
	Simon