[Haskell] Arrows GUI Library Based on GTK+

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worcester.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Mar 19 11:24:36 EST 2005

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0503181907370.1560-100000 at kevin-p3.atkinson.dhs.org>
Kevin Atkinson <kevina at cs.utah.edu> writes:

> What follows is my first attempt of using Arrows to create a GUI Library
> based on GTK+.  It uses many ideas from Fruit (http://haskell.org/fruit/).
> However it is based on discrete events rather than a continuous signal.
> The interface is only updated during an Event. It also ideas from Fudgets
> (http://www.md.chalmers.se/Cs/Research/Functional/Fudgets/), some of which
> were also used by Fruit.
>
> To the best of my knowledge this has note been attempted before as Fruit
> is not based on an existing GUI.  As such I ran into a number of
> unique problems.  Some of which are discussed in the implementation notes
> below.  I plan on elaborating on the many issues I had to deal with
> latter.
>
> You can find the code and documentation at:
>   http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org/fg/.

This sounds like a good project. We're in need of higher level abstractions over
our existing GUI toolkit bindings.

Do please keep us posted with your progress at gtk2hs-users at lists.sourceforge.net
and if you have any things you want us to fix in the underlying gtk2hs library
or anything else to make your stuff easier then do come talk to use about it.

If it turns out well maybe we might want to distribute your wraper API with
gtk2hs be default.

Duncan