[Haskell] instance Bounded Double

Frederik Eaton frederik at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 13 20:30:03 EST 2005

Perhaps some motivation is in order. In an interval arithmetic
library, I have 'Bounded a' as a constraint on the instance
'Fractional (Interval a)' because an interval of maximum bound can
result when dividing by an interval containing zero. In a function
solver library I wrote, parameters need to be specified with
constraints on their values - so that the natural default can be
(minBound, maxBound) I require them to be Bounded. Having these bounds
be plus and minus infinity is elegant, but not necessary for either of
these applications, so I think that even if some platforms don't have
affine infinities there should still be a suitably defined maxBound
and minBound for Double - just maximum and minimum representable
values should be fine. (Besides, exactly how many floating point
implementations use projective infinities?)

Frederik

http://ofb.net/~frederik/