[Haskell] integration of functional and imperative programming concepts

Keith Wansbrough Keith.Wansbrough at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 11:24:22 EST 2005

> Hello,
>
> for my diploma thesis, I need to find information about integration of
> functional and imperative programming concepts.  Could somebody of you point
> me to good websites, papers, etc. about this topic?

"Tackling the Awkward Squad"
and
"State in Haskell"

both probably on Simon Peyton Jones's webpage, are good places to
start; track back their references.  You'll probably end up with Moggi,
and Wadler's popular introductions to Moggi.

That's all the monad approach; for other approaches you could look at
ML and all the fun they had with polymorphism and references, or you
could look at Lisp/Scheme and see what they do ("Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs" is a classic textbook here,
introducing functional, imperative, and object paradigms, all in the
same language (Scheme)).

HTH.

--KW 8-)

--