[Haskell] Implicit parallel functional programming

Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at cs.uu.nl
Thu Jan 20 03:57:58 EST 2005

In 1989 my first Ph.D. student. matthijs kuiper, defended his thesis
"Paralell Attribute Gramar Evaluation". On emight see ag's as a limited
form of functional programming.

The conclusions were:
  - in many grammars sufficient paralellism can be detected using global
flow anaysis techniques
  - when building paralell implementations we get nice speedups based on
the number of processors
  - unfortunately the communication overhead makes you loose speed, so
in the end you are not much better off, and actually you have
    nice speedups on the introduced overhead, which brings you back
where you started

Another point to bear in mind is that the Dutch government 20 years ago
funded a quite large project aiming at parallell implementation of
functional programms. The main result of this project is a quite good
sequential implementation of the functional language Clean.

Even further back, in the sixties, Burrough's (yes, the companyy with
this beautiful Algol-60 based specilaised hardware and operating
system) has spent a lot of money on trying to construct paralle
reduction machines (and many others later too, especially in Japan)
trying to exploit all this implicitly available paralellism. All these
projects failed beacuse Moore's law overtook their results.

Doaitse Swierstra