[Haskell] "Never" GADT Function?

Martin Sulzmann sulzmann at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat Jan 8 02:42:39 EST 2005

You should be able to even write

neverT (BoolT x) = x
neverT (IntT x) = False
-- neverT = undefined -- also possible

cause as a temporary type assumptions we'll add in Bool=Char
(or Int=Char in case of the second clause which effectively
equals False, the always false constraint.
Note that under the False assumption we can give any type
to the result expression.

I don't know whether this is supported in GHC, at least,
it works in Chameleon (which also supports GADTs and a bit more).

Here's the Chameleon code.

data T a = (a=Bool) => BoolT a
         | (a=Int)  => IntT a

neverT :: T Char -> x
neverT (BoolT x) = x
neverT (IntT x) = False

Chameleon is available via
http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~sulzmann/chameleon
(look for Existentially Quantified Type Classes)
A new update is coming soon.

Martin