[Haskell] Re: Encode module library

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Sun Feb 27 13:34:39 EST 2005

On 2005-02-27, Otakar Smrz <smrz at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:
> I might be wrong, but it seems there is no module library in Haskell that
> would provide a unified interface for converting strings from one encoding
> into another, be it Unicode Transformation Formats, the numerous 8-bit
> encodings, or some user-defined transliterations or transcriptions.

Correct, though some rough drafts have been sketched.

> http://ckl.mff.cuni.cz/smrz/Encode/doc/index.html
>
> There, I further discuss and illustrate how extending the library with new
> encodings would be done, and what the common data representation type
> might be.
>
> I would be happy for your comments and suggestions.

Well, the type you have as "Unicode" _is_ the Haskell Char type,
according to the standard.  None of the implementations use it properly,
but ...  What you have as lists of Chars is probably best done as lists
of Word8s -- bytes.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-