[Haskell] Encode module library

Otakar Smrz smrz at ldc.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 27 11:45:14 EST 2005

I might be wrong, but it seems there is no module library in Haskell that
would provide a unified interface for converting strings from one encoding
into another, be it Unicode Transformation Formats, the numerous 8-bit
encodings, or some user-defined transliterations or transcriptions.

Inspired by the Encode module in Perl, I have sketched an architecture of
such an interface for Haskell. Let me give links to the
proto-implementation and its documentation:

http://ckl.mff.cuni.cz/smrz/Encode-0.01.zip
http://ckl.mff.cuni.cz/smrz/Encode/doc/index.html

There, I further discuss and illustrate how extending the library with new
encodings would be done, and what the common data representation type
might be.

I would be happy for your comments and suggestions.

Thank you,

Otakar Smrz