[Haskell] Proposal: Allow "\=" for field update in record update syntax

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 24 17:27:43 EST 2005

Benjamin Franksen wrote:

>>Well at the moment this would give an error, but remember the
>>list is heterogeneous, so you can just not give the list a type, and
>>simply append the specific function... admitedly this is not as
>>type-safe.
>>
>>hUpdateAtLabel field2 someFunction myRecord
>>

>That is an advantage of hLists as compared to normal records.
>
>A disadvantage is that each field access needs to traverse the list. I wonder
>if this isn't rather less efficient than the random access provided by normal
>records.

Well, not quite true, because the type of the label is used to index the
value, the selection happens at compile time. So at run time there is no
instance selection left... it is simply the value. At least in theory!
whether
the particular compiler/interpreter does this is implementation dependant.
This is why we decided that the simpler to implement list was better than
a more complex tree structure.

>Automatic wrapping is easy. What is not so easy and I think not even possible,
>is automatic _un_wrapping, so that the wrapping isn't exposed at all to the
>programmer.

One way to do this is to replace the type with a pair:

data Wrap a = Wrap {unwrapA :: a}

wrap a = (unwrapA,Wrap a)

so to unwrap do:

unwrap a = (fst a) (snd a)

But without working through an example it is difficault to see how
this would work with the template-haskell.

>I am not a type system guru, so can anyone enlighten me on why higher ranked
>types are not allowed in instances? Is there a principle problem, or is it
>just difficult to implement? Does this have to do with this "higher order
>unification" that Haskell is alleged not to have?

No idea, but it sounds like a good idea. I suspect this has to do with
the definition of type-equality/unification used to match instances.

Keean.