[Gph] [Fwd: Re: [Haskell] Implicit parallel functional programming]

Phil Trinder trinder at macs.hw.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 06:23:25 EST 2005

Satnam,

> Does anyone know of any other work on implicitly
> parallelizing functional programs for fine grain parallel execution?

The skeletons community implicitly replace higher-order functions with
parallel implementations:
  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mic/Skeletons/

There's an excellent survey of parallel FP in
  Research Directions in Parallel Functional Programming,
  Hammond K. and Michaelson G. (Eds) Springer Verlag ISBN 1-85233-092-9
  (2000).
  http://www-fp.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/pfpbook/

> there is interesting work with pH at MIT.

Is anyone working on pH at the moment?

Phil

> Subject: Re: [Haskell] Implicit parallel functional programming
> From:    mgross at dorsai.org
> Date:    Wed, January 19, 2005 4:36 am
> To:      "Satnam Singh" <satnams at microsoft.com>
> Cc:      Haskell at haskell.org
>

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Satnam Singh wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find out about existing work on implicit parallel
> functional programming. I see that the Glasgow Haskell compiler has a
> parallel mode which can be used with PVM and there is interesting work
> with pH at MIT. Does anyone know of any other work on implicitly
> parallelizing functional programs for fine grain parallel execution?
>>
>> The emergence of multi-core processors makes me think that we should
> look at implicit parallel functional programming in a new light.
>>
> At Brooklyn College, we are working on a version of Parallel Haskell that
> does not require PVM. Instead, we use Internet protocols and the Mosix
> patches to Linux.
>
> Murray Gross
> Brooklyn College, CUNY
> Metis Project

Phil Trinder
School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh, EH14 4AS

E-mail: trinder at macs.hw.ac.uk
Teleph: +44 (0)131 451 3435