[Haskell] Design guidance sought for Ranged Sets

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 21 13:53:42 EST 2005

If you decide to continue working with infinite sets, then my advice
would be to change your representation.  For infinite sets, do not use
an implicit representation (ie like a potentially infinite list) but
switch to an explicit symbolic-generator representation.  In other
words, you need to use finite introspection to be able to do your
computations.  So you'd have something like
RangeGen (Even "n") (BoundaryBelow "n") (BoundaryBelow $ Succ "n")
RangeGen (Odd "n") (BoundaryBelow "n") (BoundaryBelow $ Succ "n")
Then you can have rules on predicates such that
Union (Even x) (Odd y) | x == y
gives you the predicate True.

For example, this is one of the ``trick'' that Yampa uses for
optimization, see the first paper on
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~nhn/papers.html.  See also the paper on
Automatic Differentiation on the same page for another look at the same
idea.

Another way to achieve similar results is via type class encodings, see
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2004-November/014939.html

All of the above have one point in common: instead of encoding a lot of
information in *functions*, you encode the information in *data*,
whether it is normal constructors, GADTs or type classes.  Because the
information is visible, you can inspect it in finite time.  The hard
design decision is then, what information do you encode visibly?

The upside is that you get to inspect all the information you need to
make good decisions (in finite time).  The downside is that you lose
alpha-equivalence, and you must implement it yourself.  [This is a
non-trivial downside in a functional language!].

It is perhaps worthwhile noting that Computer Algebra abounds with such
design decisions and encoding ``tricks'' of using data instead of
functions (which is where I first learned of this, before I recognized
the same ideas in functional programming, as cited above).

Jacques